Monday, October 21, 2013
During the summer at a Day With Dolls, a woman came with lots of costume type fabric to give away. I was fortunate to be able to find coordinating fabrics that were enough to make two ruffle skirts, one for Adina and one for Eva. I used directions that I found on Pinterest and didn't have to buy a pattern. The girls got their skirts yesterday and were happy with them. Adina tried hers on and was very pleased. I wonder if she wore it to school today.
When looking through my stash for something else, I came across this pink fabric and thought that it would make a pretty doll dress along with a scrap of green velveteen that I'd been saving for that purpose. When I finished the dress, I was pleased but not satisfied, so I looked through my embellishment stash and found this ribbon and button which I turned into the flower at the waistline of the dress. The quilt was made from fabric that someone left on the give-away table at quilting. It was easy and quick to make. Sewing the back of the binding down by hand took the most time
Thursday, October 3, 2013
Last Saturday and Sunday, I attended a class at the Artsy Soul in Manahawkin, NJ. The purpose of the class was to learn to make a doll of fabric and paper clay. I hadn't done anything with clay probably since college so this was a real learning experience. Using paper clay was fun and not messy at all like using regular clay. The teacher, Lynda Miso was extremely patient and helpful. The head that I came home with is the result of her refining what I did. Inside the head is a styrofoam egg that is molded and then covered with clay. I have five more eggs so I will definitely be trying to make additional heads. We were also taught to make the feet from the clay and how to attach them to the cloth legs. Along with the sculpting, Lynda taught painting techniques for the face and under-painting with black paint as a first coat. From this class, I also became aware of how densely something should be stuffed, hence, I'll be adding more stuffing to