Several weeks ago I bought Salley Mavor's Felt Wee Folk book and made this fairy. She wasn't difficult to make once I realized how small she is, two and a half inches tall. Since I started making dolls, I've done lots of practice doll faces so that it was fairly easy to paint theses wooden 16 mm beads. I placed several of them on a pipe cleaner to make it easier to hold them, a tip from Salle. Her tunic top was made from a pattern in the book and embroidered with a single strand of floss. The stitches I used were buttonhole and lazy daisy. Her skirt was made from silk flower petals and so were her wings.
All this started when Adina saw a display of fairies at the library. This fairy garden was borrowed from a friend of Adina's. Tomorrow I am going with the fairy garden and the Pinkalicios Fairy House book to Adina's kindergarten class for Show and Tell and Storyline. In a few weeks we plan to go to a class at a nearby farm and make our own fairy garden.
that I completed. Yesterday the lower block was finished. Now I'm planning to do the block that will be on the left side of these blocks. The top part of the block is relatively simple with just three evergreen trees. The bottom part of the block will take longer because it has several flowers made up of many petals. My hope is that once all of the blocks are sewn together they will make up a cohesive picture. As you can see from these blocks, I've tried to use the same fabric in more than one block.